Our client is seeking a Strategic Commissioner on an initial 6 month contract with a possibility of an extension.
Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00pm (37 hours)
To provide visible and strong leadership for the strategic commissioning of both education and social care places and placements for vulnerable children. To be accountable for the delivery of financial efficiency's by possessing a deep understanding of children's needs and service outcomes and working with other strategic leaders in creating commissioning strategies to meet them. To use highly effective communication to maintain strategic relationships with key internal partners including Schools, Education leads and Contracts and Placement leads, the Virtual School Head and the Head of Corporate Parenting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* To develop and deliver at pace, a plan to increase the availability and value for money of the placement options for children becoming looked after (LAC). This will mean bench-marking current arrangements, identifying best practice from elsewhere and working with the Lead for Care Sourcing and Brokerage to improve the offer of options at request for placement.
* To drive the process of the high cost placement reviews through price negotiation and price review for existing children’s residential and/or educational placements, sharing learning with wider Directorate teams, in particular in the Education Service and Children’s Social Care.
* To use an understanding of service outcomes to inform the development, reshaping and delivery of services through a number of channels, not just those procured from third parties but also internal provision in both education and social care. Monitor effectiveness of commissioning strategies against proposed efficiency's.
* To ensure that market intelligence, data and the views of service users and their families are used to identify service gaps and unmet needs, and inform the de-commissioning, redesign and commissioning of services, using co-production principles, to meet the needs of vulnerable children who need care and support.
* Analyse feedback on service outcomes to inform future priorities, demand forecasting and commissioning plans, taking account of available resources. Using this information to drive a Directorate ownership of the value for money agenda.
* To proactively assess and reconcile demand and supply data and projected trends to inform market development and the Directorates responsibilities for delivering sufficiency strategies (both education and social care)
* To lead and develop key service provider relationships (across schools, MATs, commercial, voluntary and independent sectors), individually and collectively so that they make the maximum possible contribution to the desired strategic outcomes.
* To research and review legislation, policy guidance, new initiatives and best practice and to ensure staff, providers and other stakeholders are aware of any relevant future government policy and initiatives.
* To monitor financial and service performance against agreed budgets, action plans and performance targets taking corrective action as required. Provide constructive challenge to all colleagues where necessary.
* Provide advice, written reports and briefings (as requested) to MPs, Councillors, CEF Working Group, Fit for the Future Board, Committees, Schools Forum and the CEF Directorate Leadership Team. Ensure the timely preparation of management information and reports as necessary. Ensure necessary follow up action is taken to enable implementation of decisions.
* Contribute to the developing corporate team working at all levels in the organisation as opposed to working within traditional functional boundaries. This will include working closely with colleagues in other Directorates, specifically Resources and Communities in order to deliver whole Council solutions to the challenges of market sufficiency.
Skills and Experience:
* Relevant degree and either an education or social care qualification.
* Experience at senior management level of commissioning within a social care or education environment.
* Experience of managing market development in a complex environment an evidence of successfully delivering commissioning and/or sufficiency plans.
* Good experience of working in collaboration with service users, alongside good experience of working successfully with a wide range of internal and external partners and stakeholders
* Successful experience of managing significant and complex resources.
* To be self-aware, act proactively, accept personal responsibility and communicate effectively.
* To be dynamic with proven influencing skills.
* To motivate and encourage individuals and team(s), manage performance, recognise achievements and create a climate of respect..
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases