Highway Structures Engineer
You will be working for one of the UK's largest and well known facilities management companies who turnover £3.5 billion in the UK and £16 billion worldwide. They are responsible for a number of large prestigious contracts / buildings within the UK. They employ engineers, help-desk and back house support of facilities maintenance among many other positions. They have over 20,000 UK based staff on over 26000 UK sites.
Our client is now recruiting for a Highway Structures Engineer based in Grimsby.
The post holder will take a lead role in the development of policies and programmes of work for highway structures. They will contribute to the delivery of the Council's Highway Asset Management Policy and Strategy, and fulfil the council's responsibilities for maintenance of the highway structures, which are aligned to the delivery of local and national objectives.
Highway structures asset management, including all highway safety fence (VRS) installations, capturing any missing information and updating existing information on the highway authority's asset management database
· Development and implementation of appropriate policies and procedures for all highway structures, including all highway safety fence (VRS) installations
· Short, medium and long term financial and lifecycle planning including budget and cost monitoring and asset valuation
· Identify and maintain a prioritised forward programme of revenue and capital projects for the maintenance and improvement of highway structures
· Produce detailed briefs to commission the design, procurement and delivery of highway structures projects.
· Planning, programming and delivery of safety and condition inspections and testing regimes to HA DMRB and the Inspection Manual for Highway Structures, in order to identify defects and early signs of structural failure, supporting life cycle planning. Score the extent and severity of defects to the national standard.
· Identify and prioritise repairs, and manage the procurement and delivery of maintenance works through internal workforce or through sub-contractors including supervision to ensure that works meet required standards and are delivered in accordance with company health and safety requirements.
· Develop processes and procedures to continually improve the service area in accordance with the principles in the relevant Code of Practice
· Submit bids for additional capital funding from external sources such as NELC, DfT and local LEPs
Manage the processing of abnormal load applications ensuring that system records are maintained and that appropriate advice and directions are issued for the highway authority
Qualifications or Required Experience for Highway Structures Engineer role
Have a minimum of a HNC/HND in civil engineering or a related discipline (CV)
Working towards Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer status (CV)
A minimum of 3 years' experience of working on highway structures within a local authority highway services or an engineering consultancy (CV)
Possess a broad experience of the construction industry, properties of materials and safe working practices. (CV/I)
A good understanding of the principles of asset management including lifecycle planning (CV/I)
Have a good knowledge of bridge strengthening, maintenance and repair techniques (I)
Knowledge of CDM and other Health and Safety legislation (CV/I)
Good oral and written communication skills
Full valid UK driving licence (CV)
Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering degree qualified (CV)
Incorporated or Chartered Engineer(CV)
Knowledge of local authority highway services, including the relevant legislation and regulatory framework for the provision of highway services. (CV/I)
Knowledge of procedures for collecting and managing data for the whole life management of assets in the highways and transport sector (CV/I)
Post-qualification experience of highway structure design and construction (CV/I)
Experience of asset management in highways and transport environment, and the use of highway asset data management systems (CV/I)
Experience of providing expert highway advice to professional services (CV/I)
Effectively manage budgets to achieve satisfactory outcomes (CV/I)
Able to communicate effectively and with assurance, with senior officers, managers and elected members and contractor personnel.(I)
Experience of project managing major highways or structures capital works (CV/I)
Experience of dealing direct with members of the public and elected members including attendance at public and council meetings (CV/I)
Knowledge and application of procedures for collecting and maintaining data for infrastructure management (CV/I)
If you feel that you are suitable for the Highway Structures Engineer role, please apply with your CV or call Sam on (phone number removed)